Monday, February 11, 2013

Reflection and Redemption

2012 came and went. 2013 has crept in with a lot of changes. I spent the new year in Costa Rica for a week away from the bike and with good friends, food and some fun surf. It's starting to feel like a home away from the paradise I already live in. 
First sunset of 2013. Pura Vida!


























As cross season was educational and fitness improving, I really am looking forward to the road season. All of the new things that come with a new season of racing makes me that much more giddy. New team kit, equipment, not to mention an insane new BH Ultralight complete with new Osymetric Chainrings and some race wheels. Something that I did not have last season as I raced and trained on the same clinchers. I got a proper bike fit through Retul which was educational. I've lost a good amount of weight as well and I feel a touch more spry on the bike.

My first real race of the year was Boulevard Road Race. A race that I was looking forward to but only lasted a few miles. Running the new rings, something happened and the chain got wrapped around the crankarm twice! Huge disappointment but after a few adjustments, it was dialed in proper and hasn't screwed up since. It's a pretty dramatic feel but I like them.

















I did a few early season crits already and the level of fitness is good, just the technical aspect needs more work. I raced the Roger Millikin Crit last week and felt ok but didn't want to take any unnecessary risks in the very argy bargy field of 100 tough guys. I finished in the pack at 26th but I will be climbing up the leader board this season.

I'm actually getting ready for Valley of the Sun Stage Race in Arizona next week. It's a race I did in my past cycling life in the 90's and I really had a great time doing it. This year I don't know what to expect since its been so long since I've done it. I'm just going to give it everything I have and hopefully not wait a few more decades before I do this race again. The drive back is long and I don't want to spend it with the woulda shoulda coulda mental filth cycle. I'm realistic about my chances but if I can leave everything out on the course, I'll be happy.

This season is the first one that I can actually have a frame of reference for the races I'm doing since I did many of them for the first time last year. Big one's that are on the Calendar are Tour De Murrietta, San Dimas Stage Race, Sea Otter Classic, San Marcos Circuit Race, Brentwood GP and this year is Swamis own Carlsbad Grand Prix.
I've never been more excited about things to come. Yeah the new material gear is always a treat but I think I'm more prepared mentally and physically then last year. I'm having fun and my team is much more organized then last year. I'm still on the lookout for the big W, and I think it will happen. Sprinter Robbie Hunter said on any given day, everybody's beatable. This includes myself. I'm still training and racing with no data, no computer or power. All feel but I'd like to change that soon if I can afford it but maybe it will be a gift to myself if I upgrade.

If I could describe what's different about this year then last, it would have to be consciousness. Something that everybody is aware of or not. I have a higher level of self awareness I haven't experienced in a while. It's the little things. Conscious of the amount of sleep I get, the food I eat, "should I have that beer?" "Should I stick with my plan?" "Am I having fun?" When people get better, it's the little things compounded together that add up and in the end make a difference. 2013 is only 42 days old and it's already been an interesting and fun year. I'm chomping at the bit to race and get results. It's going to happen.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share It