Monday, May 28, 2012

TT's, Commencement and Memorial Weekend!

Last weekend there was a club time trial. It was my first go at this. Let me first explain that guys that are super into time trialing are very, how should I put this, specialized? Don't get me wrong I would kill to TT well but the most aero gear I own is a pair of booties from a decade ago. Needless to say I entered our "Cannibal" category and suffered on the bike like no other. I do not like time trials but in order to get better I need to learn to manage my suffering. Other guys on the team however make it look like a freaking art form.  
Not only are some of the dudes fast but wicked smart! In this case both. Check out the helmet.



The chemical on the helmet is actually a peptide of linked amino acids, that when translated into their alphabet shorthand spell F-I-G-H-T on one side and C-A-N-C-E-R on the other.  This helmet is doing double duty fighting cancer and the wind!


Also my fiance graduated from college. It's been a while since I went to Aztec or should I say Viejas Arena. Man that place is huge and there were a ton of names to read off. I'm so proud of her. Her sacrifices as well as perseverance. This was also for her Masters which makes her or should I say our pay go up a notch. I need some TT wheels! While in the ceremony sitting there, my legs were seizing up a bit but I was glad to be there. When they called her name, I yelled as loud as I could!


So the week went by pretty smoothly training wise. This afforded us to go out and eat at one of our favorite local Thai places. We have to practice for actual Thailand in a few weeks but I'm sure the food is much different there anyways.

 
Its eggplant with mock duck. Spiciness level 6. Mild to me hot for Kristen!




















The memorial weekend is always a great one. The unofficial marker for summer. Longer nights, warm weather and less clothing. I spent it doing some great training and racing. I really look forward to this holiday. We are in the homestretch for summer. I ended up doing some group rides and raced in Westlake Village near LA for the Barry Wolfe Grand Prix. A big field plus primes on most laps as well as a crash and no teammates with me had things not stacked in my favor. I tried to be as efficient as possible. I avoided the mishaps but was placed to far back for the win. I did a mock sprint just to test the legs and it was surprisingly good. Legs are much stronger and I'm not suffering as much in races. No special training here just adaptation. I do believe that is or was my last race before tying the knot. Lots of planning to focus on.
Flat and fast with two long stretches. I'm somewhere in there. 


After the race we met up with my future sister in law in Studio City for lunch. I was starving and we met at a really cool gastro pub style place. I had a couple beers, had great conversation with the girls and then headed back to San Diego so we could meet up with friends for some chill time and grilling.
 
Can't go wrong with a place that has Bruce Lees picture as a lampshade cover! Love The 6!




That night, I had to rally and we met up with some of our friends in OB who just got a new puppy that Kristen is in love with. I think she has the nesting thing going on. It was fun, relaxing and we built a fire and made smore's. Makes me feel like a kid doing those. All in all a busy week. This blog is starting to really dictate how I think about the week, take pictures and eat. I suspect maybe that's why so many people do them. Here's to introspection!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share It