Sunday, June 3, 2012

Domestics not Domestiques

Most people do little things to maintain the upkeep of their lives. Get an oil change when you need it. Clean out the closet when it looks like an unrecognizable pile. I respect those people because I am not like that. I usually wait until the last minute and then reserve a few days to get as much of what I can that I've been putting off done. Someone I know referred to it as "domestics" this week was a good one for it not to mention some pretty good riding as well.

So starting with having such a great and leisurely memorial day weekend I thought I would, in addition to have lots of fun also try to be my version of productive. Midweek Kristen decided to venture out of our usual food places and check out a new Sushi place that has been open all of a few weeks. It was really good despite its price but I'm sure we will be back!
    
Tsunami Roll!
In keeping with my task filled week, I made a trip to see my all time least favorite place the dentist. This is a new one and he tried to put me at ease. He even suggested knocking my out but decided not to and tried my own distraction. I got a pair of some sweet Bose in ear headphones, drowned out the noise and tried to relax amidst all the whizzing and whirring of the instruments. Not the worst day but a dreaded one. They even put a pair of goggles on me so I could avoid the splatter!
They even have a TV on the ceiling!





To celebrate my wimpy efforts of years of avoiding the dentist, we went out to one of our favorite places, Kristen and I went out to Blue Ribbon pizza. Fantastic as usual but this time I was extra careful not to eat anything too crunchy as my mouth was still a bit numb.
Love the fresh basil.
So for whatever reason this weekend was THE weekend for sketchiness and rides filled with crashes. All told, it seems like many people went down from a number of different rides. Hopefully a speedy recovery is going to happen to all people involved. Crashes freak me out and I've gone down a number of times. There was no racing this weekend for me, but I pushed myself on the ride as if it were. The group rides have been getting a little dangerous with lots of newbies coming along. The best I can do is stay aware and ride at the front while looking out for the people behind me. I heard that one of the crashes happened at 30mph due to some swerving to avoid bumps on the road that was having some construction done. I stayed upright and was lucky this weekend.
A few miles before the crash
Also during the weekend was the annual Fiesta Del Sol in Solana Beach which features arts and crafts, live music, great people watching and my favorite, the food trucks. Make no mistake, I did not partake in any fried Kool Aid or gimmicky chocolate butter but our wedding caterers were there. Miho Gastrotruck had an insane line but we waited for our treats. They are know for local, organic and sustainable ingredients and it shows the second you taste the food. Can't wait to see them for our wedding but we needed a sneak peak.


Instead of a ride the next day, I decided to go for a surf. It's been a while and it's always good to mix it up. Not to mention I need to start getting ready for Bali. The waves weren't all that great but it was good to be in the water. I've got to get in better surf shape for some of those world class waves on the other side.
To cap off the week, it was also time for my haircut. I've been going to a new place for a while. It seems a little dainty at first but I'm comfortable enough with myself not to get too intimidated by the clacking of heels and occasional cheesy club song. It's actually not a bad place to go. I get a great scalp, forehead and neck massage, beer or wine if I want and it's all for twenty bucks! It's my last one before I buzz it all for summer!
In terms of bling of the week, I'm stoked on the new earphones. They don't drown out ambient noise, work for running and sound like a mini stereo system in your ear. The best thing is, they don't fall out. The other thing is, if I wasn't Swami enough, my frame decals came in which makes me look (not ride) more pro than ever!
So maybe I wasn't so productive after all. Maybe the dentist was a bigger hurdle than I thought. Either way I have to go back soon. As far as the riding goes, there is a cool club race next weekend, which is always a good time not to mention a hurt fest. A week or so left of work, a few weeks before I tie the knot, and a few more weeks after that and I'll hopefully be surfing waves in Indo. I just hope the people over there don't think I'm too much of a weirdo due to my now freakish tan lines I pride myself on.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Brian, I don't think we've met yet, but I'm riding with Swamis this year. Like the blog so thus far. Just got back from Bali a few weeks ago and the surf culture is nuts. I only wish the cycling culture was there. Caused me to be off the bike for 2 weeks. Enjoy man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think we've met but I'm sure I've seen you or your bike pulling away on some of the group rides. Come say hi the next time you see me and we'll talk shop!

    ReplyDelete

Share It