Sunday, June 10, 2012

You are not special.

As the school year ends there are many graduation ceremonies around the country. A new generation of young one's going to school or work. As there are thousands of speeches praising and recognizing the class of 2012, one stuck out of my mind from the Midwest. An English teacher told the grads that they are not special. In a world where kids are bubble wrapped, helmeted, hovered over and get trophies just for showing up, we've created kids who are not only a touch narcissistic but are used to asking "whats in it for me?" The speech was to challenge kids to be curious, purposeful and a tad humble. Instead of climbing a mountain so that the world can see you, do it so you can see the world in a unique perspective.

What does this have to do with cycling? It's a sport that rarely has winners and people recognized just for showing up. In a race you have a one in a hundred chance of winning. Unlike football or basketball, where there is a fifty fifty chance of winning, the odds are usually stacked against you in cycling. Yet people still show up, work hard and expect nothing in return (except for the occasional gel or pair of socks). In short this sport makes you damn tough. The world has so many people aspiring for greatness, even in cycling but I say don't do it. Don't buy in to that dream so quick. When you want to ride bikes fast, toughness trumps greatness every time.

This week went by super quick. It usually happens when you are busy. Getting ready for my Indo surf trip/honeymoon, I got a pair of new board shorts. They have to be long enough not to get a rash, have a good pocket and draw string but most of all, hide those tan lines. I hope I don't lose too much of it after all that saddle time.

In addition to riding this week, I decided to go for a run. Some cyclists like running but I hate it. I haven't run in years. So why did I do it? As I talked about above, doing different things can make you tough. Plus other than surfing on the trip, it's the only thing I can do that will hopefully not have me lose too much fitness.
During the week, Kristen took me out on an awesome date. I had no idea what we were doing but we did a massage at Bergamont Spa. They were as good as their rep. I'm thinking possible team sponsorship next season. The lady who did me told me I need to stretch more. My IT band was so tight my foot was flexing. I told her to go hard and don't hold back on my and she held her end of the bargain. By the end I wasn't sure if I could get up.
After after

As for the riding and good times, we had our club race on Sunday at the coveted and favorite RSF course. The race today seemed like there were a few more participants than last time. My race started out fine but I simply did not have the legs to stay with the break. I payed for it later by going to hard and gassing myself halfway through. Our guys are getting faster and faster as the season comes to it's peak. Either that or I need to slow down on the food and pedal faster. Last race on this course I got fourth and this time I was hoping for at least the podium but as you can see from the footage, I didn't have it.

At the start line

During the race moving fast
In addition to the racing there was some good times had by all. Raffles, prizes and it was all for free due to the hard work of Herb and the rest of the volunteers. After the race, the sun came out and we took the scenic route to coffee. On the coast, we were moving pretty quick towards coffee. Albert was saying when he took his turn at the front, he was holding 450 watts. That guy wants his caffeine!
After the race, even faster

When we got to coffee, I satisfied myself with an almond croissant and a Mexican Coke (Real sugar, no high fructose corn syrup). Good talks, sunshine, and a great day overall.
So it was a good week overall. Next week is going to be even busier. The wedding is less than two weeks away and lots to do. There are a lot of fast and tough guys on this team. To me that makes them great which is a great motivator for me. Thoughts are already turning to next season and all that it holds. I can't believe I'm starting to get excited for cyclocross and it's only June!

1 comment:

Share It